Join New City NextGen as we pack 900 lunches for Roof Above (formerly Urban Ministry Center) to distribute to our homeless neighbors. This is a fun and easy project for the entire family! Here's how it works:
PLAN & PREPARE
Read the Important Packing Information for lunches below so you know ahead of time exactly what you need to buy at the store. Roof Above (formerly Urban Ministry Center) is careful to provide balanced meals that are easy to share, so please ensure you follow these instructions!
First, decorate your bags as a family with markers, crayons, stickers and more! Write notes of encouragement on the bags, or create some to place inside. Get creative and share some colorful hope and joy with our homeless neighbors.
Then, wash your hands and prepare and pack your lunches together using the Important Packing Information below!
Gather packed, decorated bags and pray over them. Pray for our neighbors who are experiencing homelessness especially during this crisis.
We want to see your work! Snap a picture of your lunches and share on social media using the hashtag #newcityserves.
Bring your packed lunches to New City SouthPark at your designated time for a simple, drive-through drop-off. Lunches will be gathered at SouthPark only.
IMPORTANT PACKING INFORMATION
EACH LUNCH SHOULD INCLUDE:
- 2 sandwiches
- 1 piece of fruit
- 1 bag of chips
- 2 cookies
- Use either white or soft whole wheat sandwich bread.
- No bread heels, please.
- For meat sandwiches, use ham, turkey, roast beef or bologna.
- Please use your best judgment on the number of meat slices per sandwich with the knowledge that Urban Ministry Center likes to serve hearty sandwiches.
- Please include a slice of cheese on each sandwich if your budget allows.
- If you have to choose between making fewer sandwiches and making better sandwiches, please choose better! Think about the sandwich YOU would like to eat at lunch.
- No mayonnaise or mustard on the sandwiches, please. Individual packets of condiments are very much appreciated when possible.
- No lettuce or tomato.
- You may prepare peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, however, they do not store as well as other sandwiches. Please limit number of PB&J when possible.
- You may prepare egg salad sandwiches, but NOT pimento cheese.
- It is ideal to put sandwiches in individual baggies. Please feel free to use the least-expensive sandwich bags - no need for zip locks.
- Please keep meat/cheese sandwiches refrigerated until time for drop off.
- Add a piece of fruit that will pack well until distributed such as apples or oranges.
- Cookies can be baked with love or bought with love.